Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Out of the Mouth of (Co)Babes

Oh my heck. This has been one of the hardest weeks of my life, and it is only WEDNESDAY! I'm getting to the point in student teaching where everything is wrapping up. It is to the point, where I am just ready to be done, and I don't really feel like doing much of anything. So, I know that means I need to push myself that much harder. And I do. 
Monday was a hard day, and I think it was just because it was MONDAY. I had to get irritated with some of my classes because they didn't want to listen and just wanted to talk. I've never had to get irritated with my classes like that. It was difficult for me to actually get angry. But afterwards, I was so proud of myself for actually doing it. 
Tuesday wasn't much of a difference. My students still felt like they were in weekend mode. It SOOOO showed. But, we got down to business and got our work done. 
Today was going to be an easy day. We were going to have 30 minutes of instruction for each class, and then work on an assignment together. It worked well for 1st and 2nd hour. However, Aunt Denise called during 2nd hour to let me know that Uncle Jim died this morning. 
Oh.
My.
Heck.
That's really all that was going through my mind. I immediately turned on auto pilot. I went back into my classroom and everything was just background noise. I just went into teacher mode, and did what I was supposed to. I got my lesson stuff together, answered a few student questions, and then dropped the lesson on my co-op teacher's desk. I told him my uncle just died and I needed to go home. He pretty much kicked me out of the room. He said he'd take care of everything. After checking out with my principal, I went home. My mom called me to make sure I'd heard the news. 
I don't even remember getting home. Except, I remember talking to Matthew and my Dad on the phone. But, I do know that the drive that normally takes 20-25 minutes only took 15.  I walked into the house and dropped my stuff in the entry way. Just dropped it. I didn't even care to put it on my bed upstairs. Everything just didn't matter. 
Aunt Denise and I talked to family members and Uncle Joseph came home. I got on my computer and was so glad that Lisa was on Skype. It was so good to talk to her today. 
Denise and I picked Victoria up from school and made a trip to the store before I rushed off to a school district meeting. I just sat in the meeting wishing I was home. I know I should have been paying more attention, but I really just wanted to get home and crawl under the covers.
As I was driving home, I called Claira. There is just something about Claira that always makes my day better. I told her to just tell me about her day because I hadn't had a good couple of days. She said her day was bad, but after about 10 seconds, she was telling me all the funny things she's been doing. It was so good to hear her laugh! I don't think she realizes how much I miss her when I'm gone. That little girl is too cute for her own good. 







Claira asked me a very grown up question at the end of our conversation. She asked me, "Jenn, why is everyone sad today?"


I explained to her that Uncle Jim, Grandma Linda's brother, died this morning while she was at school. And that we all love him very much and will miss him.
Claira sat quietly on the phone for a moment and then said, "Jenn! Let's be happy! He's an angel now! He's with Heavenly Father, and he's happy!"
I just smiled, and the tears that had been trying to come out all day finally started to fall.
Claira continued, "Jenn, stop crying! Uncle Jim is our Santa Claus, now!!!"

I just had to laugh. Why is it that all the best things come from little kids? Claira is the only one who can really make me smile on the worst days. And as I thought about it, Uncle Jim would make a perfect Santa Claus. It's true. 



I kept driving after talking to my dad (this time actually going the speed limit. It took me a good 30 minutes to get home this time.). I had the radio off, and was just thanking my Heavenly Father for my wonderful family. In this day of sorrow, we have all rallied together, getting everything done, all of us talking, and just being a family. In this time where most people freak out about the unknown, our family has become even closer in the great distances we have between us. 
This is because we know, we KNOW, the truth. WE KNOW that someday, we will see Uncle Jim again. We will be reunited as a family, and we don't have to worry about separation in the eternities. We will always be together. What a blessing this is!


As I got off the surface road to merge onto the freeway, I just started to SOB. It finally hit me that Uncle Jim was gone. And I miss him so much. I just kept praying to my Heavenly Father, and as I did, I swear I heard Uncle Jim say,


"Oh, honey girl. I love you."










Thank you, Uncle Jim. I love you.