Saturday, March 14, 2009

Service Oriented People

Today has been an interesting day. At four AM, I got a call from one of my coworkers, Michelle, and she said that Kassie, our student lead, hadn't shown up to unlock the building. I gave Michelle Kassie's phone number, and went back to sleep. Fast forward to 8:45 AM, and I get a call from Kassie. She had just woken up, and freaking out because she had slept through work. She was on her way to the Ricks building to see if our coworkers were able to get into the building. The building was unlocked, but nothing had been cleaned, because they didn't have keys to the classrooms.
I jumped out of bed, and headed straight to work. Kassie wanted to clean the entire building just the two of us. If that had happened, we would probably still be there. However, I had a prompting to call some members from our ward to see if they would be willing to come help us get the building clean for church tomorrow. I ran the idea by Kassie, but she didn't want to call anyone.
However, I felt that we needed to. So, I pretended to be talking to my mom on the phone while I sent out a mass text to a bunch of people in my ward. The responses came in instantly. There were tons of people that were willing to help us come clean the building. It was amazing to see all these people willing to come help clean a building on a Saturday morning. Looking back, I realize that this text probably woke most of these people up. And, they were still willing to come help us.
I am so thankful for all the people that were willing to come help, and especially those that did. It made my life so much easier! The people in my ward are amazing. I really feel sometimes that I live in Zion.